Friday, January 8, 2010

Would you ever employ someone with facial piercings and facial tattoos?

And if not could they sue for some or other ism?Would you ever employ someone with facial piercings and facial tattoos?
I can honestly say that an applicant who has excessive facial piercings or tattoos will get little consideration for employment from me. However, their ability to sue would be nil because ultimately the reason cited for not hiring them would be because there was a more qualified applicant. Since piercings and tattoos are a choice by individuals it would be hard to challenge hiring decisions as a matter of traditional discrimination. Most companies have dress code standards which are enforced. They are not considered discrimination because they are applied equally to all employees.Would you ever employ someone with facial piercings and facial tattoos?
I read the question to be about people who have facial piercings AND facial tattoos, rather than just one or the other.





If that's the case, I think there are basically two types of people who go in for this:





1) Brain dead knuckleheads who do it to look ';well 'ard';





2) Intelligent, quirky people who are artistic by nature and see the body as a canvas upon which to express themselves





People in category 1 are obviously unemployable.





People in category 2 would certainly be employable in a creative or artistic role (something in the media for example), but I wouldn't employ them in a customer-facing role.





As for suing for discrimination - I don't think so, no. It is a person's choice as an adult to get facial tattoos and piercings, and I'm pretty sure no-one does it without realising that it will severely limit their career choices.
I have my lip pierced and I have never had trouble getting good jobs in highly reputable companies. I have many important meetings with external suppliers and directors and it has never impaired my career.





I don't wear my jewelry at work and so it's never been a problem. If people ask I'm honest and say yes, I have a piercing and outside of work i wear it.





If someone chose not to hire me because I wore the jewelry at the interview I completely understand, it's their choice. But as a whole most progressive companies are OK with it (i'm not required to take mine out at all)
If I ran a lawn service, a roofing business, a tattoo shop, a auto salvage yard, a motorcycle shop, a bail bond service, a hair salon or needed musicians, artist or painters, yes. If I was looking to heir an attorney, a banker, a CEO an administrator, a real estate agent a medical doctor, it is highly doubtful I would heir someone who made those choices.
I might. It depends.





For a customer-facing position in a professional environment... no, I wouldn't. And that would be completely legal.





I might well hire them for unseen work, like working in a warehouse or something.
No you can't sue if an employer does not employ people with tattoos or piercings.





Would I personally employ someone with them, only for roles that have no face to face contact with clients.
Probably not.





How could they prove in court that was the reason they weren't hired. All you have to say is, ';We hired a candidate with better qualifications.';
If they are the face of the company, like a bank or law firm or something no. If their job really doesn't require any face to face interaction, who cares as long as they are good at their job?
So long as they're not black...only kidding





If they were in a client facing role, then I would be against employing them, otherwise, they're in.
No chance at all. I would not subject my customers to this truly vile fashion.





If you take offence at that well i'm only being honest.
Not if they were dealing with the public..





I think my pet hates are tattoes and piercings i'm just not sure in which order
it depends on the job if I owned a facial piercing and tattoo parlour I may just hire them
if they do the job who cares. they could sue you ...whether they'd win or not is another issue
Only if they are tucked away some way
No... to both questions

No comments:

Post a Comment