Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What should I do if I have facial paralysis?

half of my face is pralyzed because I overworked. I already stopped working, now what should I do to cure it? What should I not do?What should I do if I have facial paralysis?
You may have Bell's Palsy. See your doctor for treatment.What should I do if I have facial paralysis?
May not be something to ';wait and see';. You need someone to take you to emergency. I have had strokes, not worth doing nothing today ASAP.
See your Dr. it may be something serious.. While you are there, ask him about Botox injections to help relax the nerves/muscles. It might help.
It's called bells paralysis. It usually goes away within a few months, you will get movement back slowly, usually in a few weeks. two or three months it should all be normal. Continue you regular schedule, after a week or so rest. Don't be frightened, it's a common paralysis. Just learn not to blow off the handle and all should be good..
Overwork is probably not the cause of facial paralysis. It could be Bell's palsy or a stroke. Please call your doctor as soon as possible!





Common Causes of facial paralysis:


Bell's palsy


Stroke


Brain tumor


Sarcoidosis


Lyme disease


Infection


Birth trauma (newborns)





Home Care:


Treatment depends on the cause. Follow your health care provider's treatment recommendations. Sometimes steroids and acyclovir may be given depending on the cause. If the eye cannot be fully closed, the cornea must be protected from drying out with prescription eye drops or gel.





Call your doctor if you have weakness or numbness in your face. Seek emergency medical help if these symptoms occur along with a severe headache, seizure, or blindness.





What to expect at your health care provider's office:


The doctor will perform a physical exam and ask you questions about your medical history and symptoms, including:


Are both sides of the face affected?


Have you recently been sick or injured?


What other symptoms do you have? For example, drooling, excessive tears from one eye, headaches, seizures, vision problems, weakness, or paralysis.





Tests that may be done include:


Blood tests, including blood sugar, CBC, ESR, Lyme test


MRI of the head


CT scan of the head


Electromyography

No comments:

Post a Comment