Monday, April 26, 2010

My nephew who has aspergers syndrome has very poor facial muscles is there anything that can help him?

It is not just that he does not smile, he also finds it very difficult to speak clearly.My nephew who has aspergers syndrome has very poor facial muscles is there anything that can help him?
I'm not very familiar with this syndrome but one thing that might help to strengthen his facial muscles would be to chew gum if he is old enough to have it. That may sound silly but if you have ever chewed a piece of gum for an extended amount of time (especially one of those big square pieces) you start to experience soreness in your cheeks. Hope this helps. Good luck.My nephew who has aspergers syndrome has very poor facial muscles is there anything that can help him?
Hello Barbara,


I would have him checked by a neurologist sometime because specific weakness of the facial muscles is not necessarily part of Asperger's Syndrome. If he has weakness around his shoulders and neck too, then I think it's even more important to have him checked. It might be one of the non dangerous muscular dystrophies. Sites like this can't provide complete answers.....so I suggest you get him checked. Good luck.
My son has Aspergers. There are great therapists (speech and Physical therapists) that can give him special exercises to ';play';. These help to strengthen and tone the muscles in his face, and give him more confidence in speaking.


Also I recommend reading the Jenny McCarthy book about Austism ';Louder than Words';. If you can see past the agenda...it has some really valid points and tips on helping your nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment