Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Would you hire a great nanny if she had a facial piercing?

I'm going to be looking for a nanny job to start in august. I'm mature, professional, and have several years of experience. I also have people to provide great references. However, my ';look'; is alternative and I have a lip piercing. If you were hiring a nanny, would the piercing be an issue? Why or why not?


Thanks for your answers!Would you hire a great nanny if she had a facial piercing?
I wouldnt care, and the majority of the younger generation probably wouldnt care (30 or younger, give or take). But the majority of older people will. So, really, it depends on your audience.





The younger people are generally in to self expression that way. Even the people who dont like peircings, get why people get them and dont really care about if someone else has one, they just dont want one.





Older people though, like my parents, think body peircings are slutty or stupid orcrazy because it creates pain, and why would someone want to cause pain to themselves.





Its all about your audience.Would you hire a great nanny if she had a facial piercing?
It would not be an issue for me... I would be much more interested in your resume and qualifications because THAT is what makes you a good nanny not what kind of jewelry you decide to wear.
my daughter has alot of piercings and you wouldn't find a better person for your kids anywhere. but when you go for the interview, make sure your jewelry is small and tasteful,,,just for the people that aren't as open minded as we are.
A nanny is a professional!





Body piercings are not professional attire. Most companies have stipulations on piercings just as parents would.





I feel that I would hire a nanny if she would not wear piercings (other than her ears) while on the job. I also would advise not to wear a lip piercing to an interview.





You can always make a point to discuss your piercing at the interview for feedback.





Good Luck!





Charlee
Honestly, looks are supposed to be only skin deep but with something like this, I would definately consider taking out the piercing when working. You are going to be working with young, impressionable children and alot of parents will probably not like that.
If i was to hire a nanny with face piercings i would ask her if she had a problem with taking out while she was around child if she did i would have to think about overnight
It shouldn't be a problem for anyone. What difference does it make what you look like? Close minded people are not the best to work for.
absouetly.... if she is great with the kids why not
I would not judge someone by there look, however I would like someone to be neat and professional looking as that is how I would want my house to be looked after.
I'd be afraid a kid would grab at it and yank.. OUCH!





You know, if it was a parents/kids play date thing, I'd not mind at all. But I don't know if I'd hire you if you came into an Nanny interview with a facial piercing. It would make me wonder why you didn't have sense enough to leave it at home and begin a dialog about piercings after the interview, or post-job offer.





My advice is to leave out the piercing for any interview and when you get a job offer, have that discussion with your new potential employers.





Good Luck!
if its just 1 or 2 like her nose and eyebrows or under her lip but anywhere else freaks me out.
This would not be an issue for me, personally. I am all about being yourself. Thing is, if you're interviewing with a family who will hold that against you, it seems to me that maybe they're not the right family for you to nanny for. Good luck and remember to remain true to YOU!
Yes it would...you SAY you are professional, being professional means not being ';alternative';. If I were in the market for a nanny I would want her to present herself the way Jo Frost does. She is casual yet professional, your pierecings are fine on your own time but not when I'm paying.
It wouldn't matter to me.....it would be your personality, experience and ability, that would be the basis of your hiring....Good Luck!
Personally, as long as it was like one piercing on your lip and it was tasteful I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't mind tasteful piercings, I do mind a lot. Also visible tattoos. It's your prerogative whether you do this to your body, I have my own opinions though and wouldn't hire this person. Yours sounds reasonable though. These days with young mothers you may not have much problem. It's the grandparents and those of the older generation that will most likely give you flack about it or look down on you or something. But as you said, you have excellent references and great work history, shouldn't matter much.
it all depends on who the family is and how the people are. i myself have a lip piercing, and don't have any problem with seeing people in the work force with body modifications.


but, everyone's different.


i would try putting a retainer in it at first. it's pathetic how judgemental people can be and reject someone from a job just because of apperance, but that's just how society works!


good luck.
I feel so bad when I say this but my daughter is ';scared'; of people with face piercings. I feel so bad when I say that! If my child didn't have a problem with it them absolutely! I don't mind it and either does my husband, it's just my daughter.


Sorry


Good Lucy
I wouldnt not hire u for a facial peircing cause I myself am getting ready to get a monroe,however I wouldnt hire a nanny anyway cause I trust noone but family and that is very limited,lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment